Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Heights of "Filtration" Process

Heya!!

You might be knowing that these days how the new govt. is behaving so aggressive w.r.t H1's/ Aliens. This is just to give you an example.

Before telling anything, lemme introduce a bit about me. I'm an IT professional, on H1, working in USA. I'd to approach one of the departments in USA. In the application I've stated JCL is one of the stuff I've experience on. And I've been asked the below question:

Why do I need a Bachelor's Degree to perform my work on JCL??

Ain't it too funny??? Initially I didn't know what to answer to this, seriously (can you?). But one person helped me to answer this. It's not that I didn't know this, but you know, these kind of questions makes the mind blank :P

Come on, I am a computer programmer and it is just not about writing/modifying JCL's. I write, test, and maintain the detailed instructions, called programs, that computers follow to perform their functions. Programmers also conceive, design, and test logical structures for solving problems by computer.

Coming to "why I need a bachelors degree" - University teaches us things above and beyond how to write code. Communication, teamwork, Problem solving and problem reduction skills and project management are some of the things I happen to learn at university. Getting a university degree in any subject is not easy and needs dedication. I have the ambition and drive to get the job done. Typically, the ability to finish any sort of degree says a lot about the person.

A 1998 study conducted by University Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, and Michigan Future, Inc. found that "After researchers selected 88 fields which have median annual full-time earning of at least $30,000, 47 fields were found to not specifically call for a four-year degree." They found that jobs like millwrights and electrical equipment repairers were two of the highest paying non-degreed jobs, but that jobs like this do require some kind of additional training. Computer programming happens to be a field which requires a bachelor degree.

Why can't they just think in a broader way?? Any one of you faced such thing yet? Please share your experiences..



Note: The Picture attached has been taken from web. I do not own it!

No comments: